[Expert Tip] Immigration FAQs Answered By An Expert

We often receive some very good questions from our clients. Every month, we'll share some of these with you along with our migration experts' responses to them. We hope that they help you!

In the September edition, we discuss:

  • - Adding offshore dependants to student visa applications

  • - Professional year programs and how many points it can contribute to skilled migration points test

  • - Overseas police checks, its expiry and whether you need to get a new one for your RSMS and ENS visa application

Please feel free to send us any questions via our Facebook page or email and we'll answer them for you!


Question: I'm currently in Australia and want to apply for a student visa. My partner and child are still overseas, can I still include them in my application?

Answer: Yes you can! If the primary applicant is in Australia, but the secondary applicant(s) is offshore, you can still lodge a combined student visa application. Please note, this applies to student visas only, and does not apply to other visas (e.g. the 485 TR/Temporary Graduate visa).


Question: I'm doing a professional year program (PYP) that lasts for 1 year. Can this 1 year of study be counted towards any study requirements for certain state nomination programs?

Answer: Unfortunately no. Most states with study requirements stipulate that the study undertaken must be related to CRICOS-registered courses. PYPs are not CRICOS registered. PYPs do not count towards any work requirements for state nomination either.

[ ENS / RSMS ]

Question: I'm about to submit my ENS visa application. It has been 14 months since I got my overseas police check done, do I need to get a new overseas police check again?

Answer: It depends. Overseas police checks are only valid for 12 months. However, here's a good tip for you: If you haven't been back to that same country for more than a cumulative period of 2 months since the certificate's expiry, then you don't need a new one. Note: You may still be asked for it if the visa processing officers have concerns.

Have any questions? Please feel free to send them through to us, or book in a free consultation to speak with a migration expert today!

#secondaryapplicants #offshore #studentvisa #skilledmigration #professionalyearprograms #policechecks #RSMS #ENS #pointstest

55 views0 comments

Copyright © Skylark Migration Specialists. All Rights Reserved.
320 Plummer St, Port Melbourne VIC 3207

All MARA registered migration agents are bound by the MARA code of conduct

This website ("Website") is owned and operated by SKYLARK MIGRATION SPECIALISTS PTY LTD  ACN 625 196 894 (SKYLARK, we, us, our). Your use of this Website and any material or information in it ("Content") is subject to the terms on this page, the Website Terms and Conditions, and SKYLARK’ Privacy Policy, as amended by SKYLARK from time to time (together, “Terms”). By using or accessing any part of the Website or the Content, you agree to be bound by the Terms in effect at that time, and it is your responsibility regularly to check for any updates to these Terms. The Website and the Content are also subject to change at any time without notice. While we have endeavoured to ensure that the Content, including information in relation to migration policies and regulatory frameworks and other information contained in this Website is correct, it is based on a range of variable factors including information provided by external news platforms. This information may change depending on a number of factors, including but not limited to, changes in governmental policy and legislative requirements. As a result, the Content is subject to change without notice and we recommend that you always seek independent legal and financial advice. SKYLARK also does not provide you with legal, financial or other advice by means of the Website or the Content. We recommend that you (a) independently consult a migration agent; (b) familiarise yourself independently with the process, and the associated legalities; and (c) seek appropriate and independent legal and financial advice.