485 TR Visa: Can I Travel?

We know that this is an exciting time of year when most people would like to go visit family overseas or go on a trip to celebrate graduation.

BEFORE you book your tickets though, you must consider the following:

You must be in Australia when your 485 Temporary Graduate (TR) visa is decided.

If you apply now, but are overseas when your 485 TR visa is decided, Immigration has a right to refuse your visa. Whilst the chance of refusal simply because you're overseas this is low, especially if you still have a valid Student visa or Bridging Visa B, HOWEVER, if for any reason you don't meet a certain criteria and Immigration refuses your 485 visa whilst you are overseas, you do not have the rights to appeal to AAT.

Therefore, it is highly recommended that you remain in Australia until your 485 visa is approved.

Need to travel urgently? You should keep your trip as short as possible.

Yes, the current published processing time is 64 - 72 days for the Post-Study Work Stream (PSWS), and 86 days - 5 months for Graduate Work Stream (GWS). However, these published times are a guide only and doesn't mean your visa won't get approved earlier. We've had PSWS visas approved in only 6 days, and GWS visas in as little as 2 months, so bear this in mind before you book your tickets.

To remove the stress, it is highly recommended that you remain in Australia while your visa is being processed. If it is urgent that you must go overseas, we would recommend to keep your trip as short as possible. After all, you are paying $1,535 for this visa. Losing this opportunity to extend your stay in Australia could be very stressful and costly. So the question you must answer is: Is the trip right now really worth it?

If you have any questions about your situation and whether you should travel, please feel free to contact us.

Copyright © Skylark Migration Specialists. All Rights Reserved.
320 Plummer St, Port Melbourne VIC 3207

All MARA registered migration agents are bound by the MARA code of conduct

This website ("Website") is owned and operated by SKYLARK MIGRATION SPECIALISTS PTY LTD  ACN 625 196 894 (SKYLARK, we, us, our). Your use of this Website and any material or information in it ("Content") is subject to the terms on this page, the Website Terms and Conditions, and SKYLARK’ Privacy Policy, as amended by SKYLARK from time to time (together, “Terms”). By using or accessing any part of the Website or the Content, you agree to be bound by the Terms in effect at that time, and it is your responsibility regularly to check for any updates to these Terms. The Website and the Content are also subject to change at any time without notice. While we have endeavoured to ensure that the Content, including information in relation to migration policies and regulatory frameworks and other information contained in this Website is correct, it is based on a range of variable factors including information provided by external news platforms. This information may change depending on a number of factors, including but not limited to, changes in governmental policy and legislative requirements. As a result, the Content is subject to change without notice and we recommend that you always seek independent legal and financial advice. SKYLARK also does not provide you with legal, financial or other advice by means of the Website or the Content. We recommend that you (a) independently consult a migration agent; (b) familiarise yourself independently with the process, and the associated legalities; and (c) seek appropriate and independent legal and financial advice.